Overbite (Insatiable #2...might be just another vampire book...but to me...

When Meg Cabot's book Insatiable came out last summer, I was a little skeptical about reading it.  As many of you know over the past 5 or so years vampires have been insanely overplayed; especially due to series like The Twilight Saga  and The Vampire Diaries Series. 

So when Insatiable came out last summer and I read it was about vampires I was really worried that Meg Cabot had fallen into the categories of authors who wanted to make a quick buck with a vampire book.  It's funny, because when I think about it, it's almost as if certain genres are separated into cliques, like back in high school.  For instance, for the past five years (however, in the past year it's been dying down) it seems as if Paranormal books would be considered the "In" crowd.  Haha, does that make any sense??  However, when Insatiable came out last summer, I still wanted to remain one of Meg's loyal fans, and read it.

And let me be honest, am I glad that I gave it a chance.

The Insatiable series has been really good so far.  I mean, to honest, it isn't my favorite series by Meg Cabot, but none the less I still really enjoyed it.

In both books Meg has done research about vampires, and she used that research within her story, to add some somewhat "realistic" feel to it.  For instance, in Overbite this underground river in New York plays a vital part; it's called "Minetta Stream".  In the back of the novel, Meg Cabot wrote a letter explaining that in the research she found it is believed the "Minetta Stream", which is in Latin (I believe) is "Manette", means "Devil's Water"; which was something Meg tied in with the storyline.

The vampires in this series, are a lot more traditional than the vampires from The Twilight Saga (which I really enjoyed reading about too :) ).  They can get killed by wooden stakes through the heart, burned by Holy Water and crosses and garlic.  They can't go out in the sunlight, or they will get burned to ashes.

I know many readers are tired of vampire stories (I know, because I have read MANY comments on discussions on websites like Goodreads and Shelfari).  I personally don't have a problem with them, but I don't read all of them either.  I loved The Twilight Saga, but personally didn't enjoy The Vampire Diaries series, because Elena, the main character, really got on my nerves.  And even though many believe Stephenie Meyer didn't write Twilight great, I personally enjoyed it because of the story.


And I think that somehow why I enjoyed this book, Overbite.  Meg Cabot is my favorite author.  And I have always loved every single book I've read by her.  And the Insatiable series is no exception.  I enjoy reading them. :)


Now, I don't know if the series will continue.  I actually think this book REALLY ended the series, and there won't be any more Insatiable books; but who knows, Meg Cabot might choose to continue them :).  I know I will be line to get my book no matter what :).


I hope everyone has a great weekend!  And I will talk to you all soon!  Thanks for the follows by the way!  I really appreciate them! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. well. i already read instatiable, but not overbite (i mean not yet!) well, i love the first book. i already read the comment about the second book, they said the ending in overbite is like suspended. and actually, i feel a little bit nervous to read overbite, i really want in the end meena with lucien. but i afraid meg cabot didn't explain about that. is meena with lucien or with alaric? :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick