Fallen by Lauren Kate

***WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILER!!!!***

Okay, I just found out the creepiest thing ever!! Absolutely, unbelievably coincidental!

Let me start at the beginning...
So it's my second semester in college (2010) my friend borrows me this book called Fallen by Lauren Kate.  I read it, and at the time absolutely loved it!

However, last week I realized, "Why can't I remember what it was about???"  So I ask my friend if I can borrow it again.  I got last weekend, and read it this week right away.

So anyway, I just finished it, look on Goodreads, and without SERIOUSLY realizing it...are you ready for this??...I finished Fallen the first time on January 27th, 2010...and today I finished it, and what date is it?? JANUARY 27th, 2012!!!! How WEIRD IS THAT???  I thought my eyes weren't seeing right, so I checked my little journal where I keep track of the books I read with the date I finished them, and sure enough there it was...


Weird right??

So anyway, as I was rereading Fallen by Lauren Kate, I kept asking myself, "How is it that I can't remember what the story is about??"  But as I kept reading and reading and reading, I sort of realized why.

I don't know, maybe it's because I have read SOOOOO many more paranormal books in the past couple of years, and broadened my mind to those kinds of stories, but I sort of didn't really find this book memorable.  I am SOOOO sorry if that sounds horrible!!  I don't want to come off as mean!  I just want to be honest here.

I mean, there definitely were some things I enjoyed about this book.  The details for one were pretty cool, and the idea of the story was good, but somehow it just didn't click with me.

Here is the Goodreads summary:
There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her


***THIS IS THE PART WHERE SPOILERS COME IN***

This story reminded me of a mix between three books I've read in the past few years, all mushed into one...
1. The Twilight Saga : because of the whole forbidden love story.  And even though there weren't any vampires, the main character's (Luce) feelings and reactions really reminded me of Bella.  However, while I like Bella in The Twilight Series (minus her whining once in a while), I didn't really like Luce, she kind of got a bit creep stalkerish for me at one point in the novel, even though the guy she liked (Daniel) was a total jerk to her! But everything gets explained at the end.

2. Hilary Duff's Elixir Series: the concept was very similar to this story. The whole reincarnation thing is very similar in both stories.  Now to be absolutely fair, I will say Hilary Duff's book did come out AFTER Fallen.

3. And lastly it reminded me of Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick; involving the whole fallen angel concept.  However, again to be fair, Hush, Hush was released after Fallen.

Now, I know even though two out of the three books were released after Fallen, I just feel they were somehow more interesting to read.  For instance, Hush, Hush I felt started off really good.  I wouldn't say there was action from the beginning, but I didn't get bored while reading it; and Fallen, while I didn't necessarily get bored, I did feel something was missing.

And then one last complaint...
Daniel was a complete ASS at the beginning! Like absolutely rude! Yet, Luce was still absolutely in love with him!! What hell is that?? If I guy is going to be a total dick to me, I am not going to be like, "Ooooh, he is hot! There is just something about him...I need to find out more about him...and search his name on the internet..." And yes, that is how Luce is!

Now, more to the good parts...

I liked when the truth started coming out.  The truth about what those weird shadows were that have been following Luce around for the most part of her life.  And the truth about Daniel.  That was when the story started getting a little more interesting.
And I also liked a couple of other characters.  For instance Penn and Arriane, Luce's new friends from Sword & Cross School, are really interesting characters.  I liked both of their quirkiness, each in their own individual way.

And I also really like the cover! I think it's really beautiful!  The coloring, and the details are really pretty!

Now I really hope I didn't spoil this book for you!! If you have ever wanted to read it, please do! Don't make me want to stop you!  This is just how I thought, but I completely respect if others liked it!  I mean, I LOVED The Twilight Saga and many others didn't, so I understand!

Overall rating:


So if you have or haven't read Fallen, I would love to hear your thoughts in the comments below :).

Oh, and don't forget to enter Pyxis Giveaway if you haven't already! It ends on Wednesday, so I'll be announcing the winners most likely on Thursday night or Friday, so I have time to tally up all the votes, and then will announce the winner here, and email them :).

Thanks everyone!
The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick