Starters by Lissa Price

Starters by Lissa Price, out this coming Tuesday (March 13th), is a story that will keep you on your toes.  It's the story of Callie, trying to survive.  The one thing that matters more than anything else, is her seven year old brother Tyler.

Callie and Tyler are living on the streets.  They are jumping from abandoned house to other abandoned houses, just to stay alive, and keep somewhat warm, and away from the renegades (violent teen muggers).

It's been 2 years since the war ended.  The war that killed both of their parents.  The war that in fact killed any middle adult, leaving only the kids and the grandparents, and great grand parents, the ones who were eligible for the vaccine, that prevented them from getting infected from the poisonous gas that were being dropped on the lands.

When Callie, Tyler, and Michael (their childhood neighbor, whose been living with them) lose their house again, and all of their possessions, Callie knows she needs to do something, anything to earn some money.

It's been of her mind, but she's been really hesitant, because it is dangerous, but finding that she has no other choice, she decides to go to the Body Bank, where street teens (the teens that have no living adult relatives) go to be paid to rent out their bodies.
Callie signs a contract, lying along the way, telling them she no living relatives, which is exactly what the body bank, Prime Destinations, is looking for.  This contract states that Callie will go through three renters, each will use her body, to live in for a certain amount of time.  The first and second, each getting Callie's body for both under a week each, go by in a flash, but when it comes time for Callie's third and final rental, she finds out the renter will have her body for an entire month!

During the final rental, glitches occur, and Callie finds herself waking up in a night club.  Then a voice starts talking in her head telling "Do NOT go back to Prime Destinations".

That's when weird things start happening.  Secrets and true intentions about Prime Destinations comes out.  Will Callie have to hide for the rest of her life?  Will she be able to ever see her little brother again? Can she get the help she needs, from others to stop Prime Destinations?

Read Starters by Lissa Price, when it comes out this Tuesday, to find out! :)

I really enjoyed this book.  I'm still very iffy if I like the whole Dystopian genre, or not, but this book is one of those that is definitely putting towards the "Like" side of the genre.  The problem I have with Dystopian overall, is how scary it is.  Not scary in a Horror way, but scary in a "could this be our future?" way.  I am one of those people that seriously doesn't know if 2012 is the end of the year, but is scared that it will happen.  I hate to admit it but it does freak me out.  I have goals and dreams and hopes for my life that I want to able to accomplish, and turning only 21 this year, I feel I definitely have not lived my life.  I would love to be able to.

What I liked about Starters was that it definitely was a unique way of looking at the possible future, but as I was reading it I was thinking to myself quite a bit, about the Swine Flu "Epidemic" a few years ago.

Remember when they used make a huge deal out of it?  And they said that Pregnant women, children, and the elderly should get vaccinated? Well, in Starters that is pretty much what happened, except instead of the Swine Flu (or should I say H2N1 virus) it was these bomb things being dropped by neighboring countries out to destroy, I was thinking sort of like Napalm but it only worked on people who had not been vaccinated. They made such a HUGE deal about that H2N1 virus, that it scared people like no other, of course there were the ones that thought the government was full of it; and to be honest after getting the vaccination myself, and then afterwards getting the WORST cold I have ever had (I was out of school for TWO weeks!), I became one of those skeptics.

But anyway...I really enjoyed this story, I thought Lissa Price did a superb job on the characters, and has a really great writing style that is engaging, and kept going throughout the entire book, wanting more. OOOHHHH and there IS a little bit of a LOVE interest in between!!!! 
I definitely recommend this book for anyone over 14, just because I feel the whole Dystopian genre is very Psychological, and may be a bit tough on anyone younger. 
I think this book had a lot of different things I look for in a book:
-good writing
-great characters
-at LEAST a bit of romance :)
-and a story that kept me wanting more

Overall rating:


So pick up your copy this Tuesday, if this sounds like a story you would be interested in reading! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. This sounds like an interesting read. I love stories with a new way of looking at something and with a completely new storyline. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! It's definitely an interesting and good dystopian style read! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick