My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris


Through the Flirt Squad I moved My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century by Rachel Harris onto the top of my to-read list, and let me just say, I'm glad I did! :)

Goodreads Description:
My Super Sweet Sixteenth Century
On the precipice of her sixteenth birthday, the last thing lone wolf Cat Crawford wants is an extravagant gala thrown by her bubbly stepmother-to-be and well-meaning father. So even though Cat knows the family’s trip to Florence, Italy, is a peace offering, she embraces the magical city and all it offers. But when her curiosity leads her to an unusual gypsy tent, she exits . . . right into Renaissance Firenze.

Thrust into the sixteenth century armed with only a backpack full of contraband future items, Cat joins up with her ancestors, the sweet Alessandra and protective Cipriano, and soon falls for the gorgeous aspiring artist Lorenzo. But when the much-older Niccolo starts sniffing around, Cat realizes that an unwanted birthday party is nothing compared to an unwanted suitor full of creeptastic amore.

Can she find her way back to modern times before her Italian adventure turns into an Italian forever?
My thoughts:

My Super Sweet Sixteenth is a super cute modern/historical novel that will have you learning a bit about how the sixteenth century worked, as well some pretty awesome art history lessons!  My favorite scene was (SPOILER!!!!!): 
When Cat meets Michelangelo!!! That was awesome!!
I also loved the story of why she got her pear tattoo, because it added some great in-site to Cat's home life, and her relationship with her mother.  
I loved some of the quotes in the book, I found myself writing them down, both for The Flirt Squad, and also just for my own pure enjoyment!

"At certain times of the month, I've considered chocolate consumption an urgent matter."

"This chick is two French fries short of a Happy Meal." (CLASSIC!!)

"A mini-vacay from being the third wheel in my own pseudo-family? Yes, please. Sign me up for that kind of gypsy voodoo."

and last one:
"If looks could kill, I'd be a barbequed pineapple." (HAHAHA love that one!!)

There were quite a few more, but I want you all to enjoy them first hand when you read the book! :)

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a nice easy relaxing getaway from the real-world.  It's the perfect teen novel.  It has a nice history lesson included, about art and the lifestyles available back then.  And even though it had time travel, and some other unrealistic elements, Cat's personality and problems felt very realistic, and will have others be able to relate to her, from the beginning.  
Great story, and definitely can't wait for book two! I do have one warning:  Because this book is book 1, I will warn you to expect a twist at the end, that will leave you hanging a bit!!! :)

Happy Friday!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick