Just One Day by Gayle Forman

Just one day...sometimes that's all it takes.

From Goodreads:

Just One Day (Just One Day, #1)
A breathtaking journey toward self-discovery and true love, from the author of If I Stay
When sheltered American good girl Allyson "LuLu" Healey first meets laid-back Dutch actor Willem De Ruiter at an underground performance of Twelfth Night in England, there’s an undeniable spark. After just one day together, that spark bursts into a flame, or so it seems to Allyson, until the following morning, when she wakes up after a whirlwind day in Paris to discover that Willem has left. Over the next year, Allyson embarks on a journey to come to terms with the narrow confines of her life, and through Shakespeare, travel, and a quest for her almost-true-love, to break free of those confines.

Just One Day is the first in a sweepingly romantic duet of novels. Willem’s story—Just One Year—is coming soon!


My Thoughts:

Wow! Just wow!  Gayle Forman has hands down done it again!  I know I have seen quite a few bloggers reviews on this one, so I'm sure you have already heard the raving!

Just One Day is a journey that will have you holding on to your seats, and enjoying the ride, while wanting to point Allyson (aka 'Lulu") in the right direction. 

There were a few quotes I wanted to share, because they just made the book even more amazing...

"There is a world of difference, Lulu, between falling in love and being in love." (Pg. 62, of Hardcover)
"We are born in one day. We die in one day.  We can change in one day.  And we can fall in love in one day.  Anything can happen in just one day." (pg. 130)
"'...you forget, I don't speak French.' (Allyson).
'How hard can it be?' He stops and arranges his face into a puckered expression. 'Bon lacroix monsoir oui, tres, chic chic croissant French Ho-Bag.'" (Dee) (I accidentally didn't write down the page number for this one, but just thought it was hilarious!)

Gayle Forman is able to still find the humor in an absolutely devastating situation, which I always enjoy in an author's work.  This story reminded A LITTLE of Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envelopes series, just because of the feel of the characters and the traveling around places in Europe.  

My Overall rating (if you haven't already guessed...):

This book is beautiful, amazing, and highly recommended by me and thousands of other people!  Definitely read it if you get a chance! It will have you laughing, crying, and wanting to go on your own adventure throughout Paris!

(I do have one complaint, and it has nothing to do with the story...but my finished hardcover edition, had quite a few errors in it!  There were quite a few sentences where words were missing, or a word too much, or even a couple of spelling errors.  I hope they fix that by the time the paperback is released).

Have a great day everyone!!

The Romance Bookie :)
 

Comments

  1. I keep hearing awesome things about this one! I might just have to check it out even though contemporary ya isn't my usual genre of choice. Great review :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick