Cruisin' by Sarah Mlynowski (Short Story) Review

From Goodreads:
Cruisin'
From the critically acclaimed author of Ten Things We Did (and Probably Shouldn't Have) and the Magic in Manhattan series comes a fun short story about taking the plunge on the high seas, where not everything is what it seems.

Kristin is ready to take the next step. . . . The only problem is she hasn't found the right guy to take it with her. That's why she agreed to go on the ominously named Cruise to Nowhere with her best friend, Liz. There are plenty of cute guys on the ship to choose from if only Kristin can work up the nerve—and stop worrying about the reports in the tabloids that passengers on cruises have been mysteriously disappearing and that someone suspects it has to do with . . . vampires.

My Thoughts:
 I read Sarah Mlynowski's Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) in December of 2011, and thoroughly enjoyed it! So when I saw Sarah came out with a short story via HarperTeen, and it was only 99 cents on Amazon, I sprang at the chance to read it! 


Well, unfortunately, I was thoroughly disappointed.  
However, at the end it seriously surprised me, and not in a bad way, which made up for it a bit, and made me give it a higher rating then I would otherwise.

Being a bit mislead, at first, and not in a bad way, I found myself not liking the characters.  They seemed like two spoiled girls, on a cruise all by themselves (I mean seriously? Whose lucky enough to go on a cruise BY THEMSELVES before they're 18?).  The main character, Kristin is after one thing on the cruise...this is where the reader might a bit mislead...however, I can't say more, because I don't want to give anything away!  

I found myself going, WHY???  And then her best friend, keeps pushing her and saying, you just need to get Rid of IT!!!  I was thinking, what the heck!  WHY???

Ugh, it was frustrating! I wasn't a huge fan of the best friend, honestly, in fact, I thought she was an AWFUL best friend!!

In the end, when the twist happened, that was what sort of saved the story for me.  

I guess, before I give away too much, you'd better find out for yourself, other wise it will totally ruin the story!

Overall rating:
Wasn't a fan, honestly.  Didn't like the characters, which is really important to me.  Sarah Mlynowski is a good writer, that will keep the reader enthralled, I think though! Plus the twist at the end, was very interesting! :)

You can get your ecopy at Amazon or Barnes and Noble for 99 cents! :)

The Romance Bookie :)
        

Comments

  1. Oh, That's kind of dissapointing that this book wasn't great. I've read the Magic in Manhattan series and really liked it. Great review though! :)

    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so-so to me. Not awful, but not the greatest either. I like "bras and Broomsticks" and "Ten Thing We Did", super cute both! :)

      Thanks for stopping by Sydney! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick