Vampire Academy (Book #1) by Richelle Mead

Hey Everyone!

So I want to be honest here and say there haven't been all that many vampire books that I've read.  Back in 2008 and 2009 when Twilight was all the craze, and everyone was devouring every single vampire they could get their hands on; I was actually just reading, reading, and reading whatever the heck I wanted! It varied from anything from about vampires, to someone getting magic powers, to The Princess Diaries!

In fact, besides The Twilight Saga, there hasn't really been another vampire series, besides Cassandra's Clare's novels, but they don't really 100% focus around vampires; that I've enjoyed.  But now there is another one that I can add to the list!


My review of Vampire Academy, Book 1 in the series by Richelle Mead!

From Goodreads:


St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...

Rose and Lissa become enmeshed in forbidden romance, the Academy’s ruthless social scene, and unspeakable nighttime rituals. But they must be careful lest the Strigoi—the world’s fiercest and most dangerous vampires—make Lissa one of them forever.


My Thoughts:

So I have another favorite series to add to the list! At least a book 1 favorite to add!  What can I say?  Well, first of all I loved every freaking moment of this book!  I was hooked from beginning until end!  While a complete fantasy/paranormal novel, it dealt with some rough things that some teens may find themselves relating to.  For instance, depression, cutting, and bullying.

The characters were great!  Rose was such a strong young woman, and while sometimes I didn't agree with her decisions (like when she got between Lissa and Christian), she still was really awesome!  I love these strong independent women, that can still show their vulnerability at extremely tough times!

Lissa was a very interesting character.  I'm not sure yet what I think of her to be honest.  I think I like some of her.  For instance the part that likes Christian, but she sometimes doesn't seem to be able to make rational decisions.  While I don't want to judge, I must say I'm on Rose's side, when I say that I don't understand why some extremely depressed people do what they do to hurt themselves.

Dimitri...OH Dimitri!  What a sexy beast!  I also love the person they chose to play him for the movie!  To be honest out of the three main characters (Rose, Lissa, and him) he is the only one I agree with!

Now to my overall rating...if you haven't already guessed it...

This is the first time in a long time that I have found myself running to the book store to get the next book in the series so that I can continue reading! The last time I did that was with The Twilight Saga! The only difference now is that I actually have my drivers license and can go out by myself and get it! :)

I highly recommend this one! Especially if you like paranormal!  I mean, I like paranormal, and am normally not a huge fan of all vampire books (for instance, I honestly don't like The Vampire Diaries), and I loved this one!

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under the age of 14, just because it does have some talk about teen sex, nothing graphic, but probably not something under 14 year olds should be reading about quite just yet.

Anyway, definitely check it out if you get a chance!

I'm off to start my day!  Hope everyone has an awesome one!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. Enjoy! I am not a great fan of vampire fiction myself, and found Twilight so boring I never got past the first book. I guess it's because I read Dracula first and could never see vamps as anything but nasty undead creatures out to kill or make others like them. But if you're into vampire fiction, I can recommend Alyxandra Harvey's books, which have all the romance you want, but also

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...a sense of humour. So any of these books are sooo deadly serious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heyy!!! I've been reading this series just presently too! :D I'm in on the third book now, but yes! I totallyyyy agree with your views on the first one, including those of the characters! I felt the same for Rose and for Lissa too. You'll understand her better in the next books ;) I hope you enjoy the whole series! I am loving it too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! I'm so glad you loved this one! I just read this series last summer for the first time, and I devoured each one! I remember the way I was with the Twilight books. I had to beg my mom to take me back to the bookstore the next day after finishing a book in the series, because I didn't have my license. It's so nice being able to go out and get it myself now! Can't wait to hear what you think of the other VA books. After you finish them, be sure to pick up the Bloodlines series. I love them just as much, if not more than VA!! Great review! :)

    xo, Becca @Pivot Book Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick