Guest Review from Erin: Blood Red Road (Dustlands book #1) by Moira Young

Happy Friday Everyone!!!

From Goodreads:


Saba lives in Silverlake, a wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms where her family scavenge from landfills left by the long-gone Wrecker civilization. After four cloaked horsemen kidnap her beloved twin brother Lugh, she teams up with daredevil Jack and the Free Hawks, a girl gang of Revolutionaries. 

Saba learns that she is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Saba and her new friends stage a showdown that change the course of her civilization.


Erin's Thoughts:

WOAH!! Blood Red Road is definitely an exciting read! There's a ton of action going on and it's always moving forward!!

I think I should start off by saying that this book is entirely written in an accent, so a lot of words are misspelled and the grammar is often times wrong.  Also, there are no quotation marks used AT ALL!! I know this could put a lot of people off to reading this book, but for me, after a couple of pages, you get really used to it and it doesn't really become a problem.  Actually, at first, it really reminded me of Hagrid's accent in Harry Potter, but you'll see that it's different :))). But the writing is so unique because it's so minimalistic, yet you get an entire story out of it and I don't feel like I'm lacking description or detail at all!!! I read the author bio and I was SO surprised to find this was Moira Young's debut book!! It totally doesn't seem like it!! And her writing actually really reminds me of Steinbeck!

But anyways, the story was...not exactly dark, but kind of bleak --in a good way!! Basically a post-apocalyptic world!! Saba starts out as a super tough heroine, who is not always the nicest, even to her younger sister, Emmi.  All she cares about is her twin brother Lugh and getting him back.  Anyways, once he gets captured, she goes to get him back, meets a bunch of people (wait till you meet Jack!! Aah!!) and gets into all sort of problems! Like I said, this was an exciting, action-filled read and there are no boring parts!! I totally recommend this to anyone who like post-apolocalypic books or really, anyone in general who liked thrilling, adventurous reads!!

Well, four and half!! I'm definitely going to be reading the sequels, Rebel Heart and Raging Star!! I can't wait to see what happens!!

Erin @ The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick