Guest Review from Erin: A Kiss of Deception (The Remnant Chronicles #1) by Mary E. Pearson

Today I've got a review of Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson, which is the first in the trilogy!! Enjoy!! ;)

From Goodreads:



A princess must find her place in a reborn world.

She flees on her wedding day.

She steals ancient documents from the Chancellor's secret collection.

She is pursued by bounty hunters sent by her own father.

She is Princess Lia, seventeen, First Daughter of the House of Morrighan.

The Kingdom of Morrighan is steeped in tradition and the stories of a bygone world, but some traditions Lia can't abide. Like having to marry someone she's never met to secure a political alliance.

Fed up and ready for a new life, Lia flees to a distant village on the morning of her wedding. She settles in among the common folk, intrigued when two mysterious and handsome strangers arrive—and unaware that one is the jilted prince and the other an assassin sent to kill her. Deceptions swirl and Lia finds herself on the brink of unlocking perilous secrets—secrets that may unravel her world—even as she feels herself falling in love.


Erin's Thoughts:

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like high fantasy is really getting big! And as someone who has always LOVED fantasy, I'm very happy about this! So when I first saw the cover and description for Kiss of Deception, I knew immediately that I wanted to read it.  I LOVE stories about princesses (especially tough, strong-minded princesses), princes, assassins, traveling on horses, kingdoms, etc.  So no surprise, Kiss of Deception was right up my alley! Everything about this book caught my attention -- the cover, the title, the synopsis -- EVERYTHING!! And I am so glad it did not disappoint!

UGH!! I absolutely LOVED this book!! It was soooooo goooood!!! I can't believe I have to wait a whole year for the next one to come out! (Beware, I will be complaining about this fact for a while...).

Hands down one of the best parts about this book is that, true to its title, it is deceptive!!  This book is told in first person that alternates between the three characters -- Lia, the prince and assassin are not revealed!!!  What? So let me explain a little more clearly.  The chapter titles are "The Prince" the "The Assassin", "Raffle", or "Kaeden", but since the book is all written in first person (and cause Mary E. Pearson is good not to give anything away), we don't know whether Kaeden is the prince/assassin or whether Raffe is prince/assassin!! Aaaahhh!!! In a word, it's brilliant!! I don't know how Mary E. Pearson thought of this, but she is an evil genius! I had so much fun reading this book, trying to guess who the prince and assassin are (Blah, I guessed wrong)! There are just enough clues that it's so so hard to figure out, but it will keep your interest and intrigue running high!!

Regardless of the whole prince/assassin identity mystery, the book was amaazing!! I love this book and I know it's going to be one that I'll be rereading over and over again, especially since it'll be fun to notice clues now that I know who is who!  The story was fantastic! And I'm super excited to find out what's going to happen in the second book!! Aaah! And the romance!! Beautifully done!! And spectacular writing, too!

And I'm just going to repeat myself...well, because! I ADORE the cover for Kiss of Deception!! I mean, just beautiful! It immediately caught my eye! One of the best covers I have ever seen!! And lucky for me, I have a Kiss of Deception poster that I can stare at all day!! :D

Overall rating:



Anyways, so sad that I have to wait so long before the sequel, Heart of Betrayal comes out.  And yeah! I love love love the titles for these books! Kiss of Deception, Heart of Betrayal! Has an awesome ring to it!! Lovers of high fantasy -- READ THIS IMMEDIATELY!! Such a fantastic book! I cannot say enough awesome things about its!!! :))

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick