Random Post #11: Reviewing a Book You Haven't Read...

Hey Everyone!

So there is something that has been bugging me for many years, but really only very recently ticked me off, like no other!  I think it's something that should be said, and while I will NOT be naming names, I will be giving examples of what I am talking about.

So I don't know if anyone else has ever noticed this, and if I'm making a big deal out of it, in your opinion, than I'm sorry, but has anyone ever seen when someone writes a review for a book, without having read it?

Well, I've run across it quite a few times.  And quite honestly it bugs me.

I have SO much respect for authors! So much! I admire their hard work.  I aspire to be one day, but have yet to find the patience to fully sit down and finish one of my many works collecting figurative dust on my computer.  So when I see someone make a negative comment about an author/book, that they haven't read, it truly bothers me.

An example...well a few weeks ago, I read The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer.  After I finish reading a book, I sometimes like to look on Goodreads and check out some of the other reviews from people, because I love meeting new people who have similar interests in books.  Anyway, as I was reading some of the reviews, I came across someone who hadn't read the book, given it a rating, but instead decided to leave a review that had the statement, "Go back to singing, buddy. Keep hitting those A#s for me."  Like I said above, I will NOT be giving names on who this comment belonged to, but the purpose of me writing about it here, is to bring my point across.

What some people may not realize is that just because you don't rate a book, but still write something in the review section, doesn't mean it doesn't show up.  In fact, on Goodreads at the top of all the book pages, just under the title, it has links for both how many ratings have been made, and how many reviews.  When you click these you are able to scroll through them and see what some people wrote about the book.

What does a negative review, even if you haven't rated the book, do?

Well, how about possibly base an opinion for others and give them a reason not to give a book a chance!

NOW, let me explain that further.

The difference between a negative comment from someone who HAS read the book and someone who HAS NOT read the book, is that how would the person who has not read the book, know if the book sucks, when they haven't even given it a chance and read it?????!!!  At least, a person who read it, and didn't like it, READ IT!  They took the time, to truly determine their opinion on the book, by reading it, and making their opinion on it.

Making assumptions on a book, based on who their author is, and making stereotypical comments on the fact that the author happens to be celebrity, in my opinion is not okay.  It could truly hurt the reputation of the author.  Which isn't fair, for those readers who would have possibly given the book a chance, before they read that rude negative comment.

I really hope this post makes sense.

My point is really that unless you have something nice to say, on a subject you don't know much about...then you probably shouldn't say anything at all.   Isn't that something we learned in elementary school??!! I should know, because I work with elementary age students Monday through Friday, and I try to get that point across daily on the playground when kids are being mean to each other.

So yes, that is my rant of the day...or more precisely my Random Post #11! :)

The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

  1. Another weird thing is when people give five star ratings to books they haven't read because the book hasn't been published yet or even finished! Either way there's an assumption that the book will be good or bad because you do or don't like the author.

    And then there are those who read a few pages and say, "This sucks, don't bother!" And as you say, people take them seriously. My own novel recently had a wonderful review on Goodreads and a comment said, "If you say so, but this has had very mixed reviews..."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick