Twilight: The Graphic Novel, Vol. 1 (Twilight Graphic Novel #1) by Stephenie Meyer (Illustrated by Young Kim)

I've been meaning to read Twilight: The Graphic Novel  forEVER!! So when I found it for $4 in a Florida Books-a-Million, I grabbed at the chance to FINALLY read it!! :)

From Goodreads:



When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret...



Beautifully rendered, this first installment of Twilight: The Graphic Novel 


My Thoughts:

I recently saw one of the students at the school I work at reading New Moon, and it made me get in the mood to read one of the books again.  I was looking at my to-be-read bookshelf yesterday, and that's when I saw Twilight The Graphic Novel on my shelf!  So I knew it was perfect!

Anyway, I will admit I was a tad disappointed by the outcome.  The drawings were BEAUTIFUL, that was definitely not it.  But seeing the facial expressions throughout, it made me not like the artist's interpretation of Bella.

I noticed Bella's bitchiness more when she first meets Jessica and Eric.  Her facial expressions were so rude and conceded I thought, it kind of ruined the experience for me, because to me, in the book, Bella always came off as shy; but in this one she had this really mean expression on her face in the graphics, in my opinion.  Another example too, is when Edward saves Bella in the crash scene (when Tyler almost runs her over in the parking lot)...

Does she look mad, for the fact that someone just saved her life???


Also one thing I noticed in the drawings...Bella's character always has this weird tear-drop shape somewhere on her face...does that mean something in manga??? (see above picture!)

Also I would NOT recommend reading this without having read the first book first!! This book is a pretty choppy short-cut look into the first novel, Twilight.

Overall rating:



I'm going to be honest and say that this book did not prove my love for Twilight.  In fact, it may have dimmed it just a little.  But at the same time, it was only person's interpretation of one of my favorite book series, so I really shouldn't let it get to me!  It is a fun collection piece though!  The drawings are beautiful, I especially like how she would add color to some pages to emphasize certain parts of the book.

This is only volume 1!  It ends when Edward is driving Bella home from the meadow scene, which I believe is Chapter 13 in the book.

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick