Burn for Burn (Burn for Burn #1) by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Hey Everyone!!

It's been a while once again, for me to post a review, but FINALLY today I finished a book!!

It was Burn for Burn, the first book in the Burn for Burn Series by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian!

From Goodreads:





Postcard-perfect Jar Island is the kind of place where nobody locks their doors at night, where parents can sleep easy, knowing their daughters are tucked away safe and sound in their beds. 

But bad things can happen, even to good girls . . . and sometimes, the only way to make things right is to do something wrong. 

Lillia used to trust boys, but not anymore. Not after what happened this summer. And she’ll do whatever it takes to protect her little sister from the same fate. 

Kat is over the rumors, the insults, the cruel jokes made at her expense. It all goes back to one person--her ex-best friend. Someone needs to teach her a lesson, and, with Lillia and Mary behind her, Kat feels up to the task.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she’s not the same girl anymore. Now that she’s got friends who have her back, he's going to be in big trouble.

Three very different girls who come together to make things right. Will they go too far?

My Thoughts:

So in one sense it took me a while to read this because I have been crazy busy with work and school, but a small part of why it took me this long to read it is because this wasn't a book, to be honest, that I got hooked on.  I didn't have trouble putting it down.

That being said, however, this was still a pretty good read!  It had an interesting story line.  While some things were overreacted to, in my opinion, some were definitely revenge worthy.  The teens in this book were...definitely teeny.  They attracted drama, were terrible to each other, and dealt with things that most teenagers deal with.

This is definitely a great book for those 14-17 I would say.  I think quite a few people can relate to the three main characters, because most people deal with drama, being bullied, and even losing their best friends in high school.

Lillia was probably my least favorite character.  I felt she was a HUGE people pleaser.  If I had friends like hers, I would have dropped them long ago.  They were terrible people, who made many people's lives miserable in school, including even hers.

Kat was interesting, I'd really like to know more about her home life in the coming books.  And I hope more is to come between Alex and her.

Mary...probably the most confusing character in this book.  When you find out what REALLY happened to make her seek revenge against one of the boys, Reeve, then you somewhat understand.  But at the same time, I don't understand how someone could have been "friends" with someone outside of school, when they were such a horrible person to them inside of school.  I'm interested to know more about her "powers" in the future books, because I think this series might get a little more paranormal!

Overall rating:


I think, in some senses, the characters in this book were a little young for me.  But overall, it was very well written.  It had a good story line that was fairly easy to follow, and characters that interested me.  I'm definitely looking forward to reading more in this series.  I've got book two, Fire for Fire waiting at home, because I won both the first and second through a contest Simon & Schuster was holding last year.

I hope everyone is having a great week! :)

The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick