Guest Review from Erin: House of Ivy & Sorrow by Natalie Whipple

Hi Everyone!! Today I've got a review for you of House of Ivy and Sorrow! I picked up this book because of it's gorgeous title and cover AND synopsis and looked forward to reading this a ton!!

From Goodreads:



Josephine Hemlock has spent the last 10 years hiding from the Curse that killed her mother. But when a mysterious man arrives at her ivy-covered, magic-fortified home, it’s clear her mother’s killer has finally come to destroy the rest of the Hemlock bloodline. Before Jo can even think about fighting back, she must figure out who she’s fighting in the first place. The more truth Jo uncovers, the deeper she falls into witchcraft darker than she ever imagined. Trapped and running out of time, she begins to wonder if the very Curse that killed her mother is the only way to save everyone she loves.


Erin's Thoughts:

House of Ivy and Sorrow is a super super cute book! It has a distinct high school-y feel to it and Jo, the main character, has a very cheerful and positive energy.  That said, I think for me personally, she is a bit too girly and maybe even too young for me.  Not that this is bad in anyway, but she certainly is a very different character and has a different personality from myself.

But probably my favorite thing about the book is the witchy-ness of it all!! I would say that House of Ivy and Sorrow has classic "witch magic" involved.  There are curses, spells, potions and everything that you would think of if someone said the word "Witch".  I love the parts where Jo and her grandmother (or both) would cast spells/brew potions or whatnot; the ingredients and payments were creepy in a very cool way, i.e. teeth, oils, spiders, feathers...

I will admit that it did take me a while to get into this book -- probably about two-thirds of the way in.  I found myself chugging along without any intense emotional need to read -- not exactly forcing myself to read, but I didn't particularly feel like I had to keep reading either.  But no worries! By the time it got to the last third of the book, I was completely invested and did not want to stop reading!!

Overall rating:


Because of the cutesy nature of the book, I think it would have a lot of appeal to younger readers of YA (12-14) and maaaybe even some younger than that, but of course, not to say that this wouldn't be a fun read for older audiences as well.

I've got a few of Natalie Whipple's other books, so I will have to give those a read as well!! But this is it for now!! Thanks a bunch!!!! :)

Erin @ The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick