Guest Review from Erin: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre, one of my favorite books ever!!! Not that this book needs a review or anything, but since I read it again recently, I thought I'd sum up my thoughts and feelings about it!! If you haven't read it, no worries, there aren't any spoilers!! Because, let's face it, just because it's a classic doesn't mean I want spoilers!!! :)

From Goodreads:





Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead, subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.

With a heroine full of yearning, the dangerous secrets she encounters, and the choices she finally makes, Charlotte Bronte's innovative and enduring romantic novel continues to engage and provoke readers.

Erin's Review:

When I read this for the first time a few years ago, I was not expecting to like it very much.  I mean, I know it's a classic and all, but to be honest, a lot of classics don't interest me even though I really, really, really want to like them.  The only reason I decided to pick it up was because the movie was coming out that year and I thought it'd be good to see what the book was like.  But OHHH MYYYYY, I was sooooooo surprised that I LOVED this book.  It's one of those books that sucks you in and you just can't put it down! I've never had that experience with a classic novel, so needless to say, I was really shocked by my own reaction to Jane Eyre.

I'll admit, a good chunk of the book (the beginning) is about Jane's childhood and her experience growing up at school and it can be a little bit dry.  I think that if this were to be published today, most of that section would probably have been cut.  In fact, I was talking about Jane Eyre with one of my friends and she found the beginning part really boring.  But, trust me, if you push through it, you get to the really good parts! And if you really want, I guess you could skip it, but I think it's still worthwhile to read because it does give a lot of background information about Jane and what's she gone through and overall gives you a better connection to her character.

I think what I love most about Jane is that you expect her to be really meek and timid and shy, but she is not.  She is really strong-willed, determined, smart, and brave.  And of course, I Love that Jane is incredibly sensible and sees things really clearly without any delusion and, if anything, she is self-deprecating and really honest with herself and her abilities.  I love that! I think it gives her dimension and it's something that people are able to relate to easily.

And Mr. Rochester. Woah! The romantic tension between these two characters is incredible!! Absolutely one of the best, which is one of the reasons why I was so captured by this book! It's the same feeling I get when I read any of Katie McGarry's book (I know, weird right? But it's true)!!  Just totally draws you in!! Sure, sure, it's a little weird that he's twenty years older than her, but I just remind myself that this was a different age and it still does happen nowadays.  But nevertheless, I love it!! The romance is soooo good and in many ways, breaks my heart because it's so beautiful! I know, weird way of putting it, but hey! It is what it is!! (haha, anyone else utterly obsessed with the new show Selfie????) :D

And, not really to do with the book but I just have to add...Has anyone seen that episode of Friends where Phoebe and Rachel take a literature class together??? Hilarious as always!!! But they do get to read Jane Eyre and have a really funny scene with it if you're interested!!!! :))))

Overall rating:


Jane Eyre is one of those books that I seriously CANNOT put down.  One of those books where you stay up all night reading.  I remember having a book hangover after reading this and then I immediately went on a Bronte Sisters binge and basically read almost all of their books (Although, I still maintain that Jane Eyre is the BEST!)  I also went to England this summer (don't know if I ever mentioned this???) and I got to see parts of a handwritten drat of Jane Eyre that Charlotte Bronte wrote!!! It was so amazing and was definitely one of the reasons that made me want to reread it again!!!

If you're not a big fan of classics, I would definitely suggest this one.  I'm not saying it'll be for everyone, but I definitely think it's worth a read!

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

  1. One of the things I always enjoyed the most about Jane Eyre was that she had this whole inner life that she kept tightly leashed because it wasn't proper for her to express herself in certain ways, but she still felt and thought lots of different things, she just was sensible enough to keep them in when they weren't convenient.

    Rochester is a dark character but you do believe he loves Jane! - their first kiss was the first time an author managed to make my heart pound as I read along!!

    I think that the beginning could and would have been edited down if the book were to be published now, because you do need a lot of the info but it's a little tedious to read sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree Alex and Erin! It can be a tedious read, I know because it took about a month to get through it, because while I enjoyed it, it's just so much and almost too much reading, especially at the beginning. I did love the romance that blossomed between Jane and Rochester, it just took about half way through the book to FINALLY get there!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick