Erin: I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

Hi Everyone! I'll Meet You There is the second book of Heather Demetrios that I've read (the first one being Exquisit Capture) and it was such a good book!! Here's my review below!

From Goodreads:



If seventeen-year-old Skylar Evans were a typical Creek View girl, her future would involve a double-wide trailer, a baby on her hip, and the graveyard shift at Taco Bell. But after graduation, the only thing standing between straightedge Skylar and art school are three minimum-wage months of summer. Skylar can taste the freedom—that is, until her mother loses her job and everything starts coming apart. Torn between her dreams and the people she loves, Skylar realizes everything she’s ever worked for is on the line.

Nineteen-year-old Josh Mitchell had a different ticket out of Creek View: the Marines. But after his leg is blown off in Afghanistan, he returns home, a shell of the cocksure boy he used to be. What brings Skylar and Josh together is working at the Paradise—a quirky motel off California’s dusty Highway 99. Despite their differences, their shared isolation turns into an unexpected friendship and soon, something deeper.

Erin's Thoughts:

To be honest, I wasn't going to read I'll Meet You There.  I'd been hearing a lot about it here and there, but I wasn't really that interested.  So I don't really know where I suddenly got this really bad urge to read it.  I mean, I think I went to like three different bookstores to find it because I wanted to read it SOOOOOO badly!

And, ugh!  I am so glad that I read it! I ended up loving this book so much!! I would have read it in one sitting had it not been for the previous plans I'd made, which meant that I had to stop! But you bet the first thing I did when I got back home was open up my book again!

I'll Meet You There is intended for an older YA audience and it almost has a New Adult feel, so it definitely has a lot of crossover potential! I loved the story so much even though I didn't think I would like it initially.  I really love the relationship between Skylar and Josh -- it's natural and friendly, but they still have that spark and tension that totally makes you want them to get together.

I also love the setting for this book! I like this idea of a deadbeat town in the middle-of-nowhere California, which made me imagine this kind of empty desert, Grapes of Wrath style.  And the Paradise Inn they work had its own special charm to it.

Other than that, I would say this is a pretty classic tale overall.  It has its own twists and turns, but if you're a fan of contemporary romance, I think this book will definitely be one you want to read!

Overall rating:

I really really loved I'll Meet You There.  It's definitely a book I can see myself reading multiple times!! It's one of those books that made me crave other books like this, though this one remains my absolute favorite of the ones I've read recently.

Eeek! I am super excited for Heather Demetrio's next book (which I think is the second book in the Dark Caravan Cycle, Blood Passage, but I mean other than that, I can't wait to see what cooks up next!

Erin @ The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick