Erin: Beauty (Folktales #1) by Robin McKinley

Hi! Beauty is a retelling of Beauty and the Beast!  It's a classic tale and I think this is one of the best retellings ever! It's such a good solid one that really follows the original tale.  Anyways, this is a book I read as a child and recently decided to reread!

From Goodreads:

A strange imprisonment...

Beauty has never liked her nickname.  She is thin and awkward; it is her two sisters who are the beautiful ones.  But what she lacks in looks, she can perhaps make up for in courage.

When her father comes home with the tale of an enchanted castle in the forest and the terrible promise he had to make to the Beast who lives there, Beauty knows she must go to the castle, a prisoner of her own free will.  Her father protests that he will not let her go, but she answers, "Cannot a Beast be tamed?"

Robin McKinley's beloved telling illuminates the unusual love story of a most unlikely couple, Beauty and the Beast.


Erin's Thoughts:

Like I said, Beauty is a really well-done retelling.  It's very true to the fairytale while having enough little quirks of its own that makes it interesting. It has basically all the things that makes it Beauty and the Beast, like an enchanted castle, and magic, and roses, but I love how Beauty isn't actually beautiful and has sisters that she loves and this very strong relationship with her family.

I'll admit, the first part of the story that builds up to the part where Beauty actually goes to the castle is a bit long.  I think about half the book maybe is devoted to setting up the story - which is fine because it gives a lot of background about Beauty and her family and how they came to be.  It adds a lot of depth to the story, but I did really look forward to the part where actually traveled to the castle.

Beast and Beauty have this soft, warm relationship that's a combination of friendship and love, which I really liked.  They have this mutual respect for each other and I feel like it's a really equal relationship.

I have yet to read a retelling of Beauty and the Beast that I like better than Beauty.  Beauty and the Beast is one of my favorite, favorite fairytales and so I'm always on the lookout for a book spin or twist on the story.  So far, I'm still waiting ;).

Rating:


Beauty is such a classic! I love this book and it's my favorite Robin McKinley book! And, interesting fact (at least for me), Robin McKinley has written TWO Beauty and the Beast retellings! The other one is Rose Daughter and though I like Beauty better, I think it's awesome and pretty gutsy of Robin McKinley to write two retellings of the same tale! Anyways, I digress! I hope you guys liked the review and I definitely think Beauty is a book well worth reading, especially if you like fairytales!

Erin @The Romance Bookie

Comments

  1. It's a classic, I agree. I read it many, many years ago! :-) I liked the library of books that haven't been written yet and how Beauty especially enjoys Sherlock Holmes.

    If you want a somewhat different Beauty re telling, I recommend Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier. It's set in medieval Ireland and just uses the basic outline of the fairy tale. But it is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh!!!! Heart's Blood!! I've definitely heard of that and have wanted to read it!! I'll definitely have to get my hands on a copy!! Thanks so much for the recommendation!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick