Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's #1) by Ransom Riggs (Audiobook)

Hey Everyone,

I actually cannot believe I am writing this review right now, because to be honest, there are a thousand other things that I need to be doing right now, but I am so ready for my yearly book event tomorrow (YALL WEST!!!) that I just couldn't wait to finally be able to write a review again!

So I do have some exciting news...

After months and months of the sh*# that my life has become I got some good news last Friday.  Not only am I graduating on May 20th, with my bachelor's in Early Childhood Studies, but I will also be graduating with Honors!  This has been the ultimate goal since I lost my dad in September. I knew I had to keep going, I knew my dad would want me to finish school; and for my own goal I wanted to make him extra proud by graduating with honors.  And I did it.

But school is not over just yet.  I have made my final homework list!  Which means as soon as I get through this list of things to do for school...I am officially done with my undergrad education!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I have been working towards this for EIGHT YEARS!! I know I know, that is a long time, some may say too long, but I did it!! I DID IT!!! I never gave up, and always kept going, and that is what is important!

Anyway, along the way this semester, I have been commuting a lot to school and student teaching, while still working, and I have been listening to audiobooks from the library!  And one of those books was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, which is the first book in the Miss Peregrine series!

From Goodreads:


A mysterious island.  An abandoned orphanage.  A strange collection of curious photographs.

A horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.  As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar.  They may have been dangerous.  They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason.  And somehow -- impossible though it seems -- they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children  will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.


My Thoughts:

So before I begin my review, I just want to let everyone who is reading this know that I may be shunned for my answer on what I thought about this book.  Please be nice, once again I must mention this is just what I thought of the story, and it does not mean I am trying to change anyone else's opinion of the story, or make anyone's opinion seem invalid.  This is not fact. Only opinion.

Are you ready for the bombshell?...

I am going to say this very quickly...

I liked the movie better than the book.

I know I know, terrible right?

To be fair, this is not my type of book.  It is very dark, a bit slow in reading, and quite frankly the opposite of what I normally read.  I like my girly-girl romance novels, so to go from that to something that has an almost Stephen King feel...is pretty shocking.

Which is why I thought it might be better to listen to the book via audiobook, instead of reading it.

I did see the movie before reading the book, which might very well be why I have the opinion that  I do.  But let me explain further...

I was not a fan of Jacob.  I do not know if it was the narrator, but all-in-all I do not think so, because I did read part of the book, before ultimately switching to the audiobook.   I have been trying to read that book for well over a year now.

I thought Jacob was a spoiled entitled teenager, which was a huge turn off for me.  I think he is definitely the reason why I had a hard time getting through the book, and to be honest, I even had to switch to music while listening to the audiobook, because I just got tired of listening to him whine.

I know, I know, I am being super critical right now, and probably have a million fans, if they were to hear this, wanting to attack.

HOWEVER, I really do love the idea of this story!  It is such a thrilling, interesting tale that did have me continuing.  The book was obviously much more detailed than the movie, which I loved!  The movie just kept things moving much faster, which helped in my case, because like I said, this just isn't my style of reading.

I do have one other thing that bothered me a little, was it just me or was Miss Peregrine a lot less likable in the book than in the movie?  I feel she, first off, was not as prominent of a character as she was in the movie, which was a little surprising.  I mean, do not get me wrong, she is talked about throughout the book, but she does not appear all that often in my opinion.  However, that may have to do with the slowness of the book.

The slowness, however, did not really throw me off.  It can be expected with the first book in a series, when everyone is being introduced and the storyline is on its start-off.

Anyway overall rating:



It was good, not my style, but still had a good storyline.  Jacob is the ultimate decider on me not giving it four bookies, only because I have no near-by future intention of getting the second one immediately.  I do definitely see the appeal in the series, it is the most unique storyline that I have read-seen in the last few years, and that has me excited and really hoping for the second one to be made into a movie!!

The Romance Bookie

PS:  Again, really hope I did not offend any fans here!! Love you all, and definitely respect other's opinions!

Comments

  1. So I really want to read this book - I watched the movie on the trip back from Vegas last month (work trip) and it was really, really good! I wonder if they are doing a sequel though? I remember shelving the books when I worked at a library in high school so they may be older too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I LOVED the movie, but overall the book wasn't my thing, and I don't know if I bring myself to pick up the second one. Maybe one day lol. But yes, loved the movie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick